Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bar Soap Bag Tutorial

Pin It Hey, look at me. I'm doing a tutorial. Who would have ever thunk it?

Before you follow my directions verbatim, figure out what size your soap is and adjust accordingly. I am using Dove soap bars and they fit slightly tight into these bags (until you use them once or twice), but if you use a square bar or one with different dimensions, yours may not fit in the same size bag.


The washcloths I used were approximately 13" square and I wanted my finished bags to be 3" x 4" with a 3/4" - 1" folded over flap.
- Mark the lines at 5" x 8+". As you can see, I was able to get four marked on one washcloth. I actually just marked the 5" and then ran the lines up to the next 5" line.
- Pin the lines.
- Straight stitch along the lines and then zigzag stitch over the straight stitch. If you have a serger, have at it, I don't have one but I hear they are wonderful!


- Cut the pieces apart just outside the zigzag line.
- Zigzag stitch (or serge) across the top of each piece to prevent fraying.


- If you don't have a serger (I don't) use the factory serged edge as the top of the bag.
- Sew on 2" velcro strips. I put the hook on the inside, and the loop on the front.



- Turn right sides together.
- Leave 3/4" - 1" at top for flap and pin.


- Sew both side seams.
- Turn right side out.


- Sew the side seams down about 1".
- CAUTION - This part is hard to explain but I will do my best.... You sew the side seams onto the back of the bag. Do not sew straight down over the bag opening. Lift the opening out of the way so you can sew down a 1/4" - 1/2" below the opening of the bag. I hope that makes sense.



Tah dah! Your very own soap bags. You can use them for soap slivers or for a whole bar of soap.

1 comment:

Sewingadicta said...

That would be a good system for me, sure ... I also I have dry skin and I am a slave to daily hydration gallons of bodymilk not fix anything. I'll try that .... thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...