Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Checkbooks, Wallets & Pouches

Pin It
About a week and a half ago I took a little trip to Portland with my quilt group. There were about 10 of us that went in all. The car that I was in ended up going to three different stores.

First stop of Fabric Depot. Very nice store. Huge selection. I only spent about $80 there.

Second stop was Craft Warehouse. I don't have a picture of it because I kept forgetting to get my camera out. I spent a lot more money there because I bought about 60 different fat quarters plus a few other odds and ends.

Last stop, which wasn't on the schedule but I pleaded and begged until the car I was in agreed to go.

Here is the group of us outside Powell's Bookstore. Just behind us you can see the column on the corner that looks like a stack of books. I am the tallest one in the back. It was funny, I'm not normally the tallest in a group. I'm only 5' 7", but on this trip I felt like a giant. I was a good 2-7" taller than anyone else. I guess it is true that Americans are getting taller each generation.

In the meantime, I have been sewing little projects that provide near instant gratification because they take so little time to make.

Here are three little zippered pouches and matching magnetic snap ones. The zippered ones are made from the Cash & Carry Pattern . The magnetic snap are loyalty card holders from the free Grosgain free pattern month day 2 from Lemon Squeezy Home. I gave the green combo and the blue combo away to the two drivers to our Portland trip.

I love them because they are the perfect size to use them for a variety of things.

As a loyalty card holder. This combo is for one of my son's teachers. I'm not thrilled with this color combo. I may have to make another set in a deeper green asian style fabric my son picked out. I also need to make a yellow combo for another one of his teachers.

 For tissues.

 As a point and shoot camera holder. I put a little grosgrain ribbon loop on one side to put the camera strap through. This is so when I take the camera out to take a snap, I don't lose the pouch. I use this zippered pouch as a little wallet when I bicycle or other times I don't want to use my larger traditional wallet.

I also made two wallets/checkbook covers from the Amy Butler book Style Stitches.

I made this one as a sort of pre-test toile with fabric I had from my stash.

 This one I made as a special request for my mother. Her checkbook cover was falling apart and she needed a new one. I have to explain the chipmunks. My mother dislikes/hates squirrels and chipmunks. She calls squirrels bushy-tailed tree rats and tells everyone that they carry the same diseases as rats. All true. Personally I think one of the reasons people like squirrels and not rats is because of the bushy tail, ear tufts, and how squirrels scamper instead of scurry like rats. So, since she doesn't like them, all her friends give her squirrels and chipmunk gifts.

Hint Hint. These are the kinds of gifts I was planning on giving away for Pay It Forward. You can still comment on that post to sign up. If you want to participate, be prepared to give a small handmade gift to three more people.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...